This fall (2015) League of Women Voters across the nation are studying “Money in Politics.” Below, some suggested readings on the topic that are accessible at the Iowa City Public Library** or are available either for purchase or online. The list represents differing points of view and different aspects of the topic so readers can see the breadth and complexity of the issues involved.*
- La Raja, Raymond J. 2008. SMALL CHANGE: MONEY, POLITICAL PARTIES, AND CAMPAIGN FINANCE REFORM. Ann Arbor: University of Mich Press.
- **Lessig, Lawrence. 2011. REPUBLIC, LOST: HOW MONEY CORRUPTS CONGRESS— AND A PLAN TO STOP IT. New York: Twelve Hatchette Book Group.
- Magleby, David, ed. 2014. FINANCING THE 2012 ELECTION. Washington, D.C.: The Brookings Institution.
- **Mutch, Robert E. 2014. BUYING THE VOTE. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Powell, Lynda W. 2012. THE INFLUENCE OF CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTIONS IN STATE LEGISLATURES: THE EFFECTS OF INSTITUTIONS AND POLITICS. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.
- Samples, John. 2006. THE FALLACY OF CAMPAIGN FINANCE REFORM. Chicago and London: The University of Chicago Press.
- **Teachout, Zephr. 2014. CORRUPTION IN AMERICA: FROM BENJAMIN FRANKLIN’S SNUFF BOX TO CITIZENS UNITED. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Tokaji, Daniel P. and Strause, Renata E. B. 2014. THE NEW SOFT MONEY: OUTSIDE SPENDING IN CONGRESSIONAL ELECTIONS. The Ohio State University Moritz School of Law. Electronic link: http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/thenewsoftmoney/wp-content/uploads/sites/57/…
- Vogel, Kenneth P. 2014. BIG MONEY. New York: Public Affairs Perseus Book Group.
- League of Women Voters of Johnson County 1 Suggested Readings on “Money in Politics” Fall 2015
CHAPTERS IN BOOKS:
Levey, Robert A. and Mellor, William H. 2008. “Campaign Finance Reform and Free Speech.” Ch. 5 in THE DIRTY DOZEN: HOW TWELVE SUPREME COURT CASES RADICALLY EXPANDED GOVERNMENT AND ERODED FREEDOM. New York: Penguin Group, pp. 89-106.
**Stevens, John Paul. 2014. “Campaign Finance.” Ch. 3 in SIX AMENDMENTS: HOW AND WHY WE SHOULD CHANGE THE CONSTITUTION. New York: Little, Brown, pp. 57- 79.
American Civil Liberties Union. 2012. “Taking Back Our Democracy: Responding to Citizens United and the Rise of Super PACs.” Testimony to the Senate Judiciary Committee on the Constitution, Civil Rights and Human Rights, July 24. https://www.aclu.org/files/assets/aclu_statement_on_citizens_united_7_24_
A Report from Iowans Pay the Price. 2015. Available at: http://iowapaystheprice.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08…
Bill Moyers. Visit journalist Moyers’ website, who has done decades of research on money in politics. His recommended booklist is available at: http://billmoyers.com/content/bills-must-read-money-in-politics-book-list/
The November 2015 Voter is Out!
Voter Click here: Voter November 2015 LWVJC